J Visa Secondary School Student Program

J Visa Secondary School Student

Students in secondary school can travel on a J visa to the US to study in high school through the J Visa Secondary School Student program. As a high school student, the visitor will live with a host family or at a boarding school which has been approved. The cultural exchange adds value to the education of both the J visa holder and the students in the US.

Requirements for J Visa Secondary School Student:

As a high school student you are only allowed to study in a secondary school program one time. If you have previously studied on a J or F visa, you are not eligible for a J visa. You can not have completed more than 11 years of primary and secondary education. Your age should be at least 15 and less than 18 years and six months when your program starts.


J1 visa high school students are eligibile to participate in high school sports, and other school based extra curricular activities. J students live with a host family who helps take care of them. A J visa exchange student is not permitted to work, other than occasional work like babysitting, or dog walking.

Host Family:

The host family provides the student with a bed, bathroom access, study space, and storage space for clothes and personal effects. Your host will also provide three meals a day and transportation for school and other activities.

A host of a J visa secondary school student will receive a description of their responsibilities as a host. The host will provide a description of the family living environment, physical facilities and community. The host will be interviewed and letters of recommendation will be reviewed before they are approved as a host family. All members of host family that are 18 years of age or older must go through a criminal background check. The host family also must show they are financially able to be a host.

Generally a host family is limited to one exchange student. Exceptions may be made if the two exchange students are from the same country and speak the same language. Written consent from both exchange students is required before the exchange students would have the same host family.


As a requirement of being a J Visa Secondary School Student, you must carry health insurance. For more information about J Visa, health insurance requirements check out this article. For assistance finding the correct policy for your needs and budget contact TaiAn International Insurance. They have trained professionals standing by waiting to help you. Explore or Buy J Visa Secondary School Student Insurance. 

Related Articles:

J visa overview

J visa requirements

J-1 Insurance Requirements

Buy J1 visa insurance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *